Pages

Highlighted text

If you click on any of the highlighted text when you're reading the blog it will take you to the thing it is talking about. Usually in my blog it takes you to some of my photographs which illustrate what I'm saying. Sometimes it might be a link to a site which I think is worth checking out.

Thursday 9 September 2010

Job well done

9th September and finally the house and basement were built.

They were HUGE!!

Again it is all about three dimensions.  I am very poor at visualising the volume of an object - having its measurements isn't really enough and this was certainly a case in point.  The plan was for it to live in my office (aka the spare bedroom), probably on the chest of drawers.  It is massively tall and, worse than that, very deep - far too deep for the chest.  We did a quick scout round for the cheapest piece of furniture we could find to go under it.  After cobbling two Argos trolleys together it had a home but quite definitely it excluded any guests from the room.

I then spent the next couple of weeks chopping and changing my mind as to whether it was to be a period Georgian house or a modern one.  I suppose the final decision was something of a compromise.  It is to be a Georgian house lived in by a modern family. The basement is a family room and kitchen.  The ground floor is a formal dining room and sitting room and the family are collecting original Georgian pieces to furnish these rooms.  The next floor up is the teenage children's rooms.  The top floor is the master bedroom and bathroom where some Victorian period items have been kept and added stuff is in keeping - a bit shabby-chic come French country.  It isn't as muddled as it sounds and gives me a chance to work on a couple of historical periods.  I want to do them all but this will be my one and only folly I suspect - cost, time and space being against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.