Pages

Highlighted text

If you click on any of the highlighted text when you're reading the blog it will take you to the thing it is talking about. Usually in my blog it takes you to some of my photographs which illustrate what I'm saying. Sometimes it might be a link to a site which I think is worth checking out.

Thursday 28 April 2011

Building the Kitchen

Before we left for Florida last October I'd bought some wonderful Miele appliances for my future kitchen from ELF miniatures.  Take a minute to check out this site, especially if you need anything modern, it has wonderfully different stuff and the most helpful person running it.


I had also designed and drawn up a plan for fitting a very large kitchen diner.  At that stage I was using the double size room in the basement as a kitchen diner and the small room with the door as a mud room. This would have given me loads of scope for designing a super-dooper kitchen which is what I was hooked on doing.  Six months away and spending a lot of thinking time on the house as I couldn't actually DO anything and I decided as a nod to modern living there was no way I could exclude a TV watching area from the home and nothing I'd planned so far allowed for that so I decided to use the two room knock-through as a family room and the small room with the back door as the kitchen.  The challenge now became how to get a quart into a pint pot.


A couple of plans later and a couple of emails to Elizabeth (the ELF!) and my  flat pack kitchen arrived.  As someone who has lived in something like 13 homes in three countries and has  totally gutted and refurbished one of them, a full size flat-pack kitchen holds no terrors for me.... but this teeny tiny one was a whole new learning experience.  Mostly a learning experience in patience.  There was no way it could be rushed.  I had to wait for glue to dry and (three) coats of paint to dry at each step of the way.  That said, it was a totally enjoyable experience.  The only sad part is that I learned such a lot about building models and probably won't get to use it again.


I am thrilled with the result and can't wait to dress it with all sorts of bits and bobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.